Gutter Covers – How Klean Gutter Works
Klean Gutter takes gutter covers to a whole new level, outperforming many well known, dealer-installed systems. It’s affordable, highly effective and fills a need for homeowners that just want gutter covers to keep them from cleaning their gutters every season.
Klean Gutter was created by Alex Higginbotham, the original innovator of microfiltration gutter covers. He holds the first patent for microfiltration as well as 9 more for further advancements in the field, more than any other inventor. He never stops improving and advancing, which is what lead to the “a-ha!” moment to the new features found in Klean Gutter.
Don’t know who Alex Higginbotham is? You may recognize his other gutter covers rather than the man. He is the inventor of the first micro filter gutter guard, LeafFilter®, as well as Leaf Solution® and the next generation in microfiltration technology—MasterShield®. You’ll find his gutter guard technology in other brands of filtered gutter guards as well.
BEFORE you consider investing in gutter covers just because they say they have a “stainless steel filter”, consider this:
- Gutter covers should keep out all debris, particularly pine/fir needles and spring debris, which is often small and gets through most gutter covers.
- The filter must come into contact with something under its surface to pull the water into the gutter below. Screens of any material, stainless steel or not, can and will act as a solid surface without contact points, allowing water to flow over them.
- The filter must have a way to clean of roof oils, which naturally flow out of roof shingles. If your filter can’t clean itself of oils, it will clog. The way accomplish this is with touch points from the body under the filter, but even this has to be done right for optimal cleaning.
- With some, like Klean Gutter, you can choose the way they’re installed. Choose fascia mount (doesn’t touch the shingles) or an under the shingle installation (shingle manufacturer approved installation methodology).
How Klean Gutter Covers Work
We’ll say it again: having a stainless steel filter sounds nice, but the long term performance you get from a gutter guard is in its underlying technology and design.
Klean Gutter’s underlying body is an innovative approach which started from classic gutter covers. Remember hooped gutter screens made from expanded metal? You’ve probably seen some blown into someone’s yard.
There are more than 30 different expanded metal shapes, even more expanded metal sizes. Each style and size has a different reaction to water. Some work in varying degrees; others fail. Add a micro filter cloth over it and you’ve added a new variable that impacts how well water will flow through to the gutter below.
Klean Gutter’s patented design takes an expanded metal design in an innovative approach to gutter covers. Klean Gutter’s design works differently, its patent pending technology creates hundreds of thousands of touch points designed to pull water through the filter. Debris is naturally kept out by the surgical grade, fine micro filter, engineered to the Higginbotham ratio. You won’t find fine mesh in other systems because they can’t work with other designs.
Klean Gutter’s design also allows it to be installed at the same angle as your roof, a key element of Higginbotham designs. Pitching with the roof helps the system shed debris on its own. Gutter covers that install flat act like a shelf and collect debris. And you can pitch with the roof with either installation style, fascia mount or under the shingle! You’ll find this important if you have fir and pine trees and small spring debris.
For heavy rains, Klean Gutter has an added feature. It’s a downward drop under the filter’s surface. This creates a long path a fast water flow is compelled to follow. Unlike its earlier predecessors like Leaf Solution and Gutter Grate, Klean Gutter only needs one downward drop to accomplish this. It’s technology is that effective!
The First Heated Expanded Metal Gutter Covers
Eliminating multiple downward drops creates the space needed to add a heat cable under the main surface of the gutter cover. In snow and ice conditions, when a heat cable is installed, heat can radiate up through the porous filter, to melt snow or ice. Heat is more efficiently used than in other dealer installed products that heat the metal of the gutter covers rather than the ice or snow.
Some of these dealer installed heated systems sell for more than $40 a foot! You can now heat Klean Gutter for a fraction of the cost of most systems.*
* Heat cable is an after market product not sold by Klean Gutter. Follow heat cable manufacturer guidelines for heating. Klean Gutter does not warranty heat cables only the product itself.